As a big fan of Cricket, I always enjoy doing something regarding Cricket whether its playing physically, playing cricket games on phone or even talking about cricket. Cricket is a very interesting sport. Although cricket is the second most played sport in the world after soccer, but lots of people are still unaware about the sport especially in Hong Kong. Although there are lots of games online, but there are very few board games about cricket. Therefore, I want to design a board game related to cricket, so that many people can learn about the the game.
This is the board which I designed for my game. Players have to throw a dice and move according. However, there are some obstacles and advantages on the board. For example, if a player gets to the box which says “bowled”, then he will have to start all over from 0. However, if he gets a maximum or boundary, he will move forward 4 and 6 boxes respectively. Although the board is designed in a simple way, I don’t want the player to get confused because of not knowing the game. that’s why I designed the board simple and easy to play. however, I’m trying to improve the board as perfect as it can. Thus, the game will be played according to the board. There are another 2 dices which will be needed and a coin for doing a toss.
- Cricket Lovers
- Board game lovers
- People who are unaware of Cricket
Game Mechanics and Core Game Loop:
This game consists of 2 players playing against each other and it has a board, 2 dices, a coin toss and a table of scores in order to play the game. This board game is similar to how the real game is played. There are 2 innings in the game where a player will try to score as much runs as he can in the first innings and the other play has to chase down his target in the second innings in order to win the game. Both players will have to toss a coin in order to choose whether who will play the first innings (Player 1: Batting) or second innings (player 2: bowling). After choosing, both players will take turns to throw the dice with player 1 throwing first. Player 1 will try to score as much runs as he can using the dice and the player 2 should should have to throw the same number of dice of the player 1 in order to get him out. After getting him out, both players will switch their rolls and the player 2 will have to chase down the target set by the player 1 in the first innings. If the player 2 successfully chase down the target before getting out, then he will be the winner or else player 1 will win. This was how the game is played.
Now lets move to the board and see what are the obstacles the player batting will have to face when he is scoring runs. First of all, he will try throw the dice and will move forward. For example, if the player gets 3 on the dice, then he will have to move 3 times. However, there are some obstacles and advantages on the board if they reach on certain boxes:
Hurdles and advantages on the board:
- If he reached on these boxes, the player will have to start all over again from 0 score:
- Catch Out
- Run Out
- Leg Before Wicket (LBW)
- Obstructing the field
- If he reached on these boxes, then the player will have an advantage to have extra moves:
- Maximum: 6 runs (will have extra 6 moves)
- Boundary: 4 runs (will have extra 4 moves)
- Leg Byes: (will have an extra run)
- Byes: (will have an extra run)
How will player 2 (the bowler) get out the player 1 (the batsman):
- Player 1 will throw a dice first, then player 2 will also throw a dice.
- If player 2 gets the same number on the dice with player 1, then the player 1 will be out.
- Both players will change their rolls once the batsman is out
- Player 2 will have to score more runs than the player 1 in order to win the game
- Player 1 will do the same as player 2 did (try to get the same number on the dice to get the player 2 out before he reach the target)
- If a player finish all 50 boxes, he will start again from 1. and when he get outs, he will plus the scores together. For example, after completing 50 scores (which is the end of the board), he will start again from 1 and if he ends up scoring 20 runs. Then the runs will plus together like 50+20= 70. 71 will be the target for another player in order to win.
After drafting the game, I played it with my friend who didn’t know anything about cricket. Firstly, I told him the instructions and the rules on how to play the game. He was quite amazed and interested in playing the game so I tried playing with him. When we were playing the game, I sensed that I am playing cricket physically on the field as it gave me the same feeling. After we finish playing the game, my friend told me that he would like to play cricket physically on the field and learn more about the sport. During this Covid-19 Pandemic, where people are trying to avoid doing sports in group, I think this board game is the best as the game can be played with 2 people even sitting at home. Moreover, this game will also give more knowledge about cricket to the people who are unaware of the sport. Although, the game went very smoothly, I feel that there is still room for improvement because I think the coloring and the layout of the board can be more better to attract more people to play the game. I am working on it and trying to make it as better as I can.